1. Assessment is a critical feature of both UbD and DI. Explain why that is the case for each model separately as you understand them. Also explain how assessment links the two models.
2. Chapter 5 offers three key principles of assessment (photo albums vs. snapshots, measures that match goals, form follows function).
- What are the big ideas implicit in each principle? Identify specific actions that teachers can take to act on each principle.
- Explain how each principle matters for successful curricular planning and for successful differentiation.
3. This chapter suggests four classroom assessment practices that honor student differences while promoting critical learning for each student (assessing before teaching, offering appropriate choices in assessments, providing feedback early and often, and encouraging student self-assessment and reflection).
- What common teacher beliefs and practices do these guidelines challenge?
- Identify specific examples of each principle in practice.
- What would change for students in our classrooms if we appropriately followed these guidelines? For teachers? For learners?
4. How would assessment following these guidelines promote learning for a wide range of students rather than simply measuring it?